Google+ Beathearts: Beathearts rewind #19: Erick Sermon

5.11.2011

Beathearts rewind #19: Erick Sermon

I still can't believe I missed out when the legendary EPMD passed through town earlier this year. To make up for that negligence this week's Beathearts rewind is an ode to the green eye bandit, beat maker and rhymesayer extraordinaire, Erick Sermon. We picked out three Sermon gems that always put a smile on our faces and our heads nodding.

First up, my favourite track from the amazing Business as Usual album from 1992. For some reason Manslaughter was the first track I heard from the album. I believe it was also the first track I heard sampling the unmistakeble Strange games and things from Love Unlimited Orchestra.


EPMD - Manslaughter (1992)

The second track is Sermon's genious remix of Redman's Rockafella track. It took me a while to hunt this 12 inch down back in the day but ever since I found it in Shibuya, Tokyo I keep coming back to that amazing instrumental. Hypnotic!


Redman - Rockafella (Erick Sermon remix) (1994)

For the third track, I thought I'd pick one of the many collaboration tracks he's put out over the years. Since New Jack Swing and GUY were a big part of my musical upbringing I had to go with Welcome ft. Aaron Hall and Keith Murray from the great 1995 promo EP also featuring the Bomdigi remix and Do your thing.


Erick Sermon ft. Aaron Hall & Keith Murray - Welcome (1995)

Real happy with our triple selections above I just realized that I can't let you go without the tune that is probably my all time most frequently played Sermon instrumental. No doubt he has put out more memorable lyrics but the beat is still bangin!


Erick Sermon - Stay real (1993)

0 reactions: